State Approving Agency (SAA)
In order for a veteran, reservist or dependent to utilize their VA Education Benefits at a place of postsecondary education, training, or license and certification, the program must be approved by a State Approving Agency.
The Nevada Commission of Postsecondary Education has designation by the State of Nevada to approve training programs in accordance with standards and provisions of Chapters 30, 32, 33, 24, 25 and 36 of Title 38, U.S.C., and Chapters 1606 of Title 10, U.S.C.
Mission of the SAA
Our mission is to ensure that every eligible veteran, reservist/National Guard member, and other eligible persons are afforded the opportunity to pursue their educational or vocational program goals to their full potential. The Nevada State Approving Agents will work to protect the eligible person’s right to a quality education or a quality training program.
The State Approving Agencies (SAAs) were established from the GI Bill of Rights. Title 38, U.S. Code, Chapter 36, Administration of Education Benefits, authorizes the establishment of SAAs. 38 CFR, 21.4151(b) summarizes SAA responsibilities under the law. They are:
- To inspect and supervise schools and training establishments within their state;
- To determine programs of education and training that may be approved for veterans;
- To determine whether a school or training establishment at all times complies with established standards; and
- To render services and obtain information necessary for the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) to approve or disapprove courses of education offered by any agency of the Federal Government within their states.
The Commission on Postsecondary Education’s State Approving Agency (CPE/SAA) is responsible for program approval and oversight for: an expectation is allowed per the regulation:
- Public, proprietary profit and non-profit institutions of higher learning with academic and professional degree and certificate programs
- Apprenticeship programs – formal training leading to journeyman status
- On-the-job training programs – supervised job instruction programs
- Flight schools – programs for vocational flight training
- High Schools
- Licensing and Certification Tests
Under Nevada Administrative Code 394.375, all facilities seeking approval must comply with The Commission on Postsecondary of Education Regulations unless an exception is allowed per State regulations.
NAC 394.375 Applicability of
regulations to institutions approved for the training of veterans. (NRS 394.411) Any
institution licensed by or under the jurisdiction of an agency of government
which seeks approval to offer training to veterans or which has been approved
for the training of veterans is subject to the regulations of the Commission,
if the agency of government has no criteria, or where the criteria are less
stringent than that of the Commission. The regulations of the Commission apply
to contested cases concerning approval of programs for the training of
veterans. Regulations of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs may
supersede the Commission’s regulations and policies when applied to
institutions approved for the training of veterans.