Information for Students

The Commission licenses private postsecondary institutions that offer training in Nevada to adults with a few exceptions such as cosmetology, truck driving and flight training. Before you enroll in any private postsecondary school, you should find out several things. The Commission protects students of licensed schools with a tuition refund program for student impacted by closure of the school during attendance. Schools can not legally guarantee you a job, if any school does this, please contact the Commission.

    Please read the following and remember that you can contact the Commission for assistance or more information.


      Check to see if the school has a business license (city or county) and if required, a license issued by the Commission on Postsecondary Education. If the school is not licensed by the Commission on Postsecondary Education, the institution should be licensed by another state agency or the federal government (unless the College/University is part of the Nevada System of Higher Education).

        Licensure of private schools is mandatory in most states unless the licensing entity has exempted the school. In Nevada, all licensed schools are required to prominently display the schools license which includes the inclusive dates of the license. The license should be current. If you are planning on enrolling in an out-of-state school, contact the Commission as we are in contact with other state licensing agencies and can assist you in determining if the school is legitimately operating.


          If your goal is to obtain an associate degree or higher, you should make sure the school you are attending is accredited. Nevada has prohibitions concerning the use of degrees that are from unaccredited schools. There are several types of accreditation, regional, national and specialized. Nevada regulations mandate that the accrediting body be recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. You can check the US Department of Education web site or contact the Commission for additional information.


            Most schools will have a financial aid person who can help you determine the best way to pay for your education and you should check with the school for additional information. There is a state Millennium Scholarship program as well as U.S. Department of Education programs that may be available to assist in paying for your education.